If you are an Afghan student hoping to study abroad, you will more than likely be required to take the TOEFL or the IELTS test. They are necessary for most scholarship programs because they offer the only way to compare your English abilities with those of students from elsewhere.
A good TOEFL or IELTS score is always important in helping students access scholarship opportunities abroad. Many Afghan educational centers offer TOEFL preparation courses, but most students do not know where and how to apply and whom to contact. In this blog post, we explain everything.
- TOEFL Test:
The Test Of English as a Foreign Language is only offered in Kabul and Herat, so students have to travel to these cities to take the test. Currently, only the Paper-Based Test (PBT) is offered in Afghanistan. Students wishing to take the iBT or cBT can travel to Pakistan or Kyrgyzstan.
- Test location: University of Nebraska / UNO Education Press
Paktia Kot, Beside Pashmenabafi Factory, Pul-e-Charkhi Road, District 9, Kabul
- Registration: Students can register online at the official TOEFL website. You will need a credit/debit card.
- Fee: The registration fee is US$160.
- Dates: Several test dates are available throughout the year. You can always check the next test date on the official TOEFL website. Test dates may change every year, so make sure you check the latest date on that page.
- Contact: For Kabul, call +93-(0)-7740-755 827 and for Herat, call +93-(0)-799-208-770.
Remember: If you are applying for scholarships abroad, you should take the international TOEFL test, available only through the University of Nebraska / UNO Education Press. The TOEFL test currently offered by the American University of Afghanistan is called an institutional test and is only used for AUAF’s internal placement needs, not for international scholarships.
- IELTS Test:
The International English Language Testing System is offered through the British Council and its affiliates in Afghanistan.
- Registration: You can register through the British Council’s subsidiary, Aria Delta Consulting Group. They are located next to Afghan Khyber Wedding Hall, Saleem Karwan Square, Taimani Main Road, Kabul.
- Fee: The registration fee is US$200.
- Dates: Schedule is available on the British Council website and through the Aria Delta Consulting Group.
- Contact: Contact the Aria Delta Consulting Group at +93-(0)793-108-181 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: For ongoing announcements and changes to test dates, etc., visit the British Council Afghanistan website.