The Foundation for Afghanistan is now accepting applications for our college scholarship program under which qualified Afghan students will receive full scholarships in the United States to study for their bachelor’s degree.
All demonstrated needs of admitted students will be met by assistance from our partner institutions or from Foundation for Afghanistan. Full scholarships will be provided for four years or, in some cases, the duration of students’ undergraduate education.
Who can apply
All college-eligible Afghan students, especially females, are encouraged to apply. We are especially looking for students with financial need who also demonstrate a determination to make a meaningful contribution to Afghanistan upon completion of their education. Through this scholarship program, the Foundation hopes to contribute towards improving human capacity and facilitating the development of Afghanistan.
What costs are covered
The Foundation for Afghanistan and its partner colleges will cover all fees, health insurance, meals and housing for the duration of study. Once in college, students are expected to work 10-15 hours a week to cover their personal expenses and books. Students are responsible for buying their own laptop and airfare to and from Afghanistan.
Frequently Asked Questions — PLEASE READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY
- What is the passing TOEFL score? There is no “passing score” or “minimum score to be accepted.” Everyone is encouraged to apply.
- I applied last year. Can I apply again? Yes. In your application, we’d like to hear how you have bettered yourself since last year.
- I don’t have my TOEFL/IELTS score. Can I apply? Applications without international TOEFL or IELTS or SAT scores are not be eligible. Diplomas from Afghan English courses are not substitutes for international TOEFL/IELTS/SAT scores. Students who have studied in “English-medium” schools in Afghanistan or its neighborhood are still required to submit their TOEFL/IELTS results.
- I live in Iran/Pakistan/United States. Can I apply? Only Afghan students who live in Afghanistan and Afghan refugees in neighboring countries may apply.
- I am a transfer student. Can I apply? In limited circumstances, we may be able to accept transfer students. Please indicate in your application email that you are a transfer applicant.
- I am in 11th grade. Can I apply? You need to have all your results for 10th, 11th and 12th class; otherwise, you’re ineligible.
- I want to study for my master’s or PhD. Can I apply? The Foundation does not offer scholarships for master’s or PhD at this time.
- How do you select students? We use a combination of factors to select the most qualified students. International TOEFL/SAT/IELTS scores and good high school grades are important; community involvement, volunteer experience or previous work are also important. In particular, we are looking for students who demonstrate a commitment to Afghanistan and academic excellence.
- If selected, when can I start college? Students selected for this scholarship will start their studies in the US in 2013 and will continue until graduation in 2017.
- What fields of study are allowed? You may choose to study in any field you’re interested.
DEADLINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Each applicant must submit the following:
- Foundation for Afghanistan Scholarship Application Form and the accompanying 500-word essay (Essay can’t be longer than 500 words)
- A copy of their high school document(s) showing grades for classes 10th, 11th and 12th
- A copy of their official international TOEFL score. IELTS is also acceptable; SAT is strongly encouraged. There is no “passing score” — the higher the score, the better your chances of getting a scholarship.
Submit the required material to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 15, 2012.
- For Afghan students: A short guide to college education in the United States
- Information on where to take the TOEFL or IELTS tests in Afghanistan - includes contact numbers and addresses
We will offer regular updates about the application process. You can receive these updates by signing up on our: